Monday, January 19, 2009

I dreamt a dream

I had a dream last night, I was in London, boarding the Titanic with Laurie, Tony, Su-lin, Cam and Elaine.
This wasn't the original Titanic, but a restoration. I noted that Tony and Cam were getting on really well, and I was saying that my Grandmother had survived the original sinking*. We were walking the length of the ship. I then found myself and about half a dozen others on a lifeboat off the ship. We were told they had overbooked and we couldn't stay on.
I returned to port and watched the ship sail without me, but with Laurie, Su, Tony, Elaine and Cam still on board.
I waited at the dock, which now began more and more to resemble an airport, or train terminal.
As I waited I sorted through my satchel and my camera back popped oven briefly - probably ruining the film in it.

I woke, feeling vaguely depressed.

*(this is not true, but in the dream it was).

4 comments:

Ang and Jerry Oler said...

I smell a movie plot (or at the very least, a random episode in a television series where the main character has your dream Dave....it could happen?!

Jason Dykes said...

The Titanic was known as the "ship of dreams."

Survivor story:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngkids/9607/titanic.html

I read an article today that said people from Britain were more likely than Americans to die in the Titanic sinking because they have a culture of queuing:
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/articles/2009/01/14/1231608777963.html

David, maybe the dream means you will be a survivor and a good guy at the same time!

dp said...

Very interesting Jase, especially as there was part of the dream I didn't document:
When I was on the life boat there was a few moments after we were told we can't get back on that my first instinct was to say - (rough translation) "forget that" - and jump back on, something I realized was something I never would have considered doing before I moved to the U.S.
I wavered, and thought, no, I'll obey the rules, it's the proper thing to do...

Jason Dykes said...

There is a lot to be said for being polite. I think it probably saves skins rather than loses them most of the time, Titanic incidents aside.