Friday, November 21, 2008

Hat of the Week - Genesis


I think I have always liked hats. It has the whiff of "dressing up" a game I enjoyed from my earliest memories.
I never felt confident enough to wear hats consistently as a youth as it was a hatless period in my culture.

How I overcame my hat insecurities.
I was serving a mission for my church in Australia. Firstly I got a bit of sun stroke I think, and after that it was intolerable for me to feel the sun directly on my head.
Secondly, I was a missionary, in AUSTRALIA. If you care what people think of you then, well, lets just say I had nothing to lose when it came to others perceptions of how I dressed.
So having a degree of necessity and having shed most of my sense of pride, dignity and conformity (you might think your an outsider now, but just try being a preacher in Murray Bridge, South Australia).

This meant that post mission I wore hats a lot more often, but as any hat wearer knows, it messes up your hair. Given the style of hair I preferred it meant my hat waring was an occasional thing. That changed by the fact of testosterone - which is the cause of "male pattern baldness". This accomplished two things - one it proved I was a MAN. My gender had been brought into question a number of times in my youth through afore mentioned "outsider" status. Two it meant the elimination of "hat hair", thus removing the final barrier to almost constant hat wearing.

I currently own over 20 hats, collected over almost as many years. I feel obliged to disclose that nearly half of them are "baseball" style caps. In the hat higher-achy of my mind they barely qualify as a "real" hat. Mainly because they are socially acceptable head-ware. The less common the a hat is, the more "HAT" they are on my mind.

I have decided to share my hat love with whosoever cares, (besides Magna, one more reason for the love Magna) thus am Launching my "Hat of the Week".

1 comment:

CATZ said...

Dave,

I love that you love hats. I have probably 40+ and not one baseball hat among them. Actually that's the one hat that really looks awful on me. I need a brim.

I got into hats for a few reasons. One was because I'm in the wedding business (all about glamour) and what's more glamourous than hats? Plus as a 'marketing genius' I saw an opportunity to get noticed and it totally works. I'm always recognized at wedding shows etc. Then I have a similar challenge to yours. My fair hair is thinning and if I wear hats now while I have lots still, no one will notice down the road that I 'always' wear a hat. My pre-emptive strike.

Hats are an icebreaker. People come up to me way more often and initiate conversation when I'm wearing a hat. They always tell me they love my hat and either have many or wish they could look good in a hat too. Either way they always say they don't wear them. So I applaude you for wearing hats and fully encourage others to wear hats and add some glamour and confidence to their wardrobe.
- Magna