Monday, September 21, 2009

Never Not Hip

He was cool.

Breaking from what the mainstream deemed as fashionable and defined his own sense of style.
(There are plenty of people who have there own sense of style, but that's usually due to the fact that they are hopelessly clueless of what is style).
With full knowledge, of totally "getting it", he defined himself another way. For those who new what was "in" would get this person and know they were truly cool, even though he did not conform to what was "in".

As the years passed he opted for total non-fashion. But, knowing this person, you knew this was a deliberate move, and one done on a conscious level, for personal reasons. (Unlike the rest of us who, couldn't afford it, were too tired, and just defeated).
Although he now looked completely unremarkable, you knew he was still, so, truly cool.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Phil Story, Laurie's first boyfriend.



I saw a recent photo of a lost friend the other day. She was, and still is, a casualty of my life getting full of school work, children, marriage, and location.

I miss Deana.

I liked to be associated with her, because I was made cooler by that association. I should say, it made me appear cooler, because, if you knew her, and you knew I was her friend then you would think... "David must be some-what cool for Deana to be his friend."

In her recent picture, Deana does not look cool.

But I know that, that is a deception.

No matter how Deana looks, what she does or where she lives, it is cool. Because she is doing it.

There is nothing that can make Deana Petronella Martin uncool - she is never not hip.

2 comments:

Emily said...

why didn't you warn me that this one was humorless?

dp said...

Sorry Em - myself and the post are corrected.