Thursday, December 11, 2008

Music Makes Me Happier

These are albums, and occasionally the songs that take me to time and place, they were the sound track of my life.

From about 1983 until my Mission I listened to music a LOT of the time, because I had limited means, the music like my wardrobe was on, again and again. Often they were lost, and so when I hear them again it takes me back.

I plan on continually updating this, and expanding on the music, and why it was significant to me.

1983
Simple Minds - 81-82-83-84
The Cure - Faith
B52's - B52's
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriels 3rd self titled album
Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's
Eurithmics - Sweet Dreams

1984
Talking Heads - Take me to the River
OMD - Dazzle Ships
New Order - Power Corruption and Lies
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Madness - One Step Beyond...
Eurithmics - Touch
The Cure - The Walk
Heaven 17 - Penthouse and Pavement
The Smiths - The Smiths
The The - Soul Mining
Japan - Oil on Canvas
Human League - Travel Log, Dare
DEVO - New Traditionalists
Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell
Midnight Oil - 10987654321

1985
Flock of Seagulls - Flock of Seagulls, Listen
Blue nile - Walk Across The Rooftops
Ice House - Flowers
Fiat Lux - Hired History
The Cure - Head on the Door - Jason and the southern Road Trip
OMD - Organization, Architecture and Morality, CRUSH
New Order - Everything's Gone Green
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward

1986
Fine Young Cannibals - Fine Young Cannibals
Peter Murphy - Should The World Fail To Fall Apart Don
The Cult - Love
Big Country- The Crossing
OMD - Crush

1987
Billy Brag - Talking to Taxman About Poetry, Spy vs. Spy
Shriekback - Big Night Music, Care, Jam Science, Oil & Gold
English Beat - Best of. Strongly tied to Su-Lin
Simple Minds - Empires and Dance Paul
Smiths - Meat Is Murder, The Queen Is Dead
The The - Infected
Talk Talk - Color of Spring Su
China Crisis - Difficult Shapes & Passive Rhythms, Working with Fire and Steel, Flaunt the Imperfection, What Price Paradise
Love and Rockets - Express, Seventh Dream of a Teenage Heaven
OMD - Pacific Age
David Silvian - Brilliant Trees
Fad Gadget - Gag
U2 - Indian Summer Sky - after I first kissed Su as I went home
Crowded House - Crowded House
Depeche Mode - Music For The Masses

1988
Sinead OConnor - The Lion and the Cobra
Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland, The Damage Done, Body Electric, Alice, The Reptile House EP, Temple of Love, Body and Soul, First and Last and Always
Sugar Cubes - Life's Too Good
AhHa - Hunting High and Low
The Church - Starfish listing to it while working at the hospital

New Order - Substance

1989
Enya - Watermark
Sisters Of Mercy - First and Last and Always,
New Order - Technique
Mauve - Mauve
The Smiths - Strangeways Here we Come
The The - Mind Bomb
Chill's - Kaleidoscope World, Brave Words,The Lost EP
Dead Can Dance - Dead Can Dance, Spleen and Ideal, Within the Realm of a Dying Sun, The Serpents Egg

Mission Years 1989 - 1991
B52's - Love Shack Darwin Post Office
The Mission 3 tracks from Laurie
Bauhaus - Acoustic Track from Laurie
Cat Stevens - Moon Shadow Laurie
The Church - song Reptile would play a lot in my head

1991
Peter Murphy - Deep
David Silvian - Secrets of the Beehive Linked to Laurie - she sent it me
This Mortal Coil - Laurie
Suzanne Vega - Days Of Open Hand

1992
Sisters Of Mercy - Vision Thing Courting Laurie
Crowded House - Into Temptation Making out with Laurie in my Apartment in Provo

1993
His Name Is Alive - Livonia, Home Is In Your Head
This Mortal Coil - Blood
The Chills - Submarine Bells
Creatures - Boomerang
DeadCanDance - Into The Labyrinth
Suzanne Vega - 99.9F°
Shriekback - Sacred City

1994
Dead Can Dance - Toward The Within
Dead Can Dance - song - American Dreaming Makes me think of Laurie & I
The Jam - Greatest Hits Laurie introduces me to
Men Without Hats -Men Without Hats

1998
Madonna - Ray of Light

1999
Alphaville - Forever Young

2006
Ladytron - 604, Light and Magic

2008
This year seemed to be a reawakening in me of music as an intrigal - indispensable part of living. Two things, and ipod will all my music on, and having to spent 30 min. to 2 hrs. a day running errands and realizing if I was surrounded by music it became very bearable. Finally was Mobys Hotel, it reminded me how discovering new music is not a subtle process but an explosion of something akin to joy when you find that resonating cord in you.
Moby - Hotel

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I spot several of my favorites on that list. Nice job.

Aaron J