Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Trilby


Trilby -- it's like a Fedora (that's an Indiana Jones hat for the Hat nube), but with a narrower brim. Typically they were made from felt or wool. My trilby is made from straw, in china. I have been wanting one for a few years now and when I saw it this summer in WALMART I simply rejoiced.
So this hat is my most resent head-ware acquisition. Ironically the very first hat I wore, really wore, on a day to day basis was a very similar straw hat in South Australia. I actually wore that one out.
According to an undocumented wikipedia entry the name for this style of hat came from a very popular novel of the same name. The novel was subsequently turned into a play and one of the actors in the play wore a narrow brimmed fedora - and the name of the play/book was forever attached to this style of hat.
In my mind this style has been linked to the end of hats as we know them as everyday ware for men, and can still be occasionally seen being worn by very old men, hipsters, mods, and jazz heads.
I find it simultaneously easier and more difficult to be outside of fashion. Not eschewing fashion wholly, but being interested in it disconnected from time and place. Basically that means you seek after fashion that you like, unrelated to the fashion of the day.
It's easier in that you don't have to spend time and money on keeping up with what's current. The downside of which is being an outsider, to some degree. The best example of this ascetic in popular culture was portrayed by the character Kramer in the sitcom Sinfeild, who was once described by the most fashionable character (Elaine) as a "hipster doofus".

3 comments:

Laurie said...

You're my hipster doofus.
-Laurie

CATZ said...

Dave, When you wear a hat you are automatically out of fashion, because you are one that 'leads' fashion vs. following. There are so few of us to follow you just do what feels right for you.
As long as you have some eye for design a hat will complement an outfit. As a fellow artist I'm sure your attire is very fashionable. I find it quite satisfying to find a great hat and build an outfit to suit. It's my attempt at harmony.
I finally did an inventory of my hats and built a spreadsheet documenting the hat box I can find them in, the history, and a photo of the hat. It's been quite useful as I had hats I'd forgotten about. I have over 40 now. I just bought a really great 'Lillie & Cohoe' one when I was visiting Carol-Ann in Calgary.
I have a hat similar to the Trilby in wool I should send you. My dad wore them all the time and so I picked it up for sentimental reasons but it doesn't really suit me.
I should figure out this whole blog world and start my own.

dp said...

Oh, sure Catz, that's another thing you need to excel at, a blog. But who doesn't want more of Magna?
I want more.
You should - for now, make a album of your hats on facebook. I'd like to see them.
Truth is sometimes I dress in a way that pleases me, but most days I just dress.
Self confidence is a wonderful gift, it means to me I can ware what I like and feel good in it, and just ware clothes, and not care.
I would love your fathers hat, and give it a good home. It would mean a lot to me, if you really can part with it. I have a Hat from my mission, that was a gift from the little branch in Alice Springs - I love the hat, but the emotional meaning it has makes it so much more.